Thursday 19 April 2012

It's not all about ticking boxes...

Every day I arrive at the hospice with a list in my diary of ‘Things to do’. I don’t think I’ve once managed to tick off even half the items on the list! Now, that’s not because I’m sitting on my ass all day; it’s simply because things rarely go to plan! This is a potted version of what my list looked like by the end of the other day:

Buy big plastic boxes - √

The containers I’ve been using for the MP3 players etc at the patients’ bedsides are too small. I left home earlier than usual and took a detour to Tesco on the way to work. The boxes have to be approved by the Ward Manager then properly labelled before they can be used......

Visit Patient 1 - X

Tried throughout the day but patient was either sleeping or being attended to by medical staff every time I was in the ward.

Visit Patient 2 - √ 

Spent some time with this patient, whom I'd first visited over 2 weeks ago. We've had some lovely chats about thier favourite music and their special songs. Sadly, their condition had deteriorated over the weekend.

Visit Patient 3 – X

Patient was sleeping every time I visited ward, but I did manage to spend a good bit of time with the patient’s partner. Was nice to have feedback on how comforting both the patient and the family were finding the personal playlist.

Attend Home Care meeting – √ 

Gave a short presentation. Seemed to go well and project was met with enthusiasm and some great suggestions.

See Director of Operations re adaptors for bathrooms – X

First refurbished bathroom is almost complete. Need to test out the cable and adaptor so that patients can listen to their own music while in the bath. DoO was busy in meetings all day.

See IT Manager re laptop I'm hoping to donate – X 

Met briefly in corridor between meetings, but not long enough for proper chat.

Write up cross care notes – X

Ran out of time and had problems getting access to a hospice computer. The office that I work from in Strathcarron is small and very busy. The Patient and Family Support Team staff, quite rightly, take priority as far as space and access to computers is concerned, and there isn't enough space for me to have my own desk. Sometimes it’s easier for the team if I bail out and find somewhere else in the hospice to work from, sometimes using my own laptop. That’s not a problem at all, but I do waste a bit too much time just finding a suitable place to park myself and all my gear!

Update music player log – X

Ran out of time

Drop in session - √/X 

Did hold session but didn’t see many members of staff. However, I made good use of time by updating the music library.

Reply to emails - √/X

Two out of an intended ten.

Phone calls – X 

Ran out of time

Added extras:

1. Was asked to visit Patient 4 by member of nursing staff. Had good chat, downloaded long list of music onto MP3 player, gave player to patient and demonstrated how to use it.

2. Was asked to visit Patient 5 by Occupational Therapist. After a brief chat, spent a while trying to put one of their audio books onto MP3 player without success. Nearly threw computer out of the window. Will consult IT experts (ie my kids) and hopefully return with player duly loaded up with book. Did manage to compile a list of favourite songs and leave that with the patient.

3. A hug from the lovely Frank Curran!

So, it was a day of ups and downs and - as with most days at the hospice - I didn’t manage to tick everything off my list. However, this placement isn’t all about ticking boxes and - as with most days at the hospice – I came away feeling satisfied that I’d made the very most of the time that I had available. I drove home, made a cup of tea, opened my diary at tomorrow's date and wrote: ‘Things to do.....’

No comments:

Post a Comment