Saturday 9 June 2012

Breakthroughs and being blown away

It’s such a privilege to see so many of the patients reaping the benefits of the whole ‘personal playlist’ thing at the hospice. This past week has been particularly rewarding as I’ve been working with two patients, who have varying degrees of cognitive difficulties, with some really positive results. It's incredible to witness even the slightest breakthrough with a patient who's finding it difficult to communicate. I think it’s worth mentioning here, again, that I’m not a trained or professional music therapist. I’m simply using my basic listening skills along with an understanding of how therapeutic music - even at its most basic level (such as listening to a favourite song) - can be. It’s definitely the aspect of the project that I’ve enjoyed the most; spending time with patients then using music to make a difference to their day.

It’s an added bonus when that music is sung or played live. A few weeks ago I invited Lauren McKinney along to sing for the patients. Lauren - whose mum, April, is a Complementary Therapist at the hospice - is 15 years old and would normally be at school on a Tuesday afternoon. However, thanks to the Diamond Jubilee holiday, she spent her afternoon blowing us all away at the hospice with her incredible voice instead! Lauren came along first to sing for the patients in Day Care, then was happy to hang around till later to sing on the ward. As you'll see, my videoing skills haven’t improved much while I’ve been on my placement, but here’s a wee snippet of Lauren doing her thing anyway. I cannot get away with the fact that this voice is coming from a fifteen year old, and a lovely one at that!:

In the ward, Lauren stood in one of the open spaces so that her voice could be heard through all of the rooms. During her repertoire, I walked round the beds to make sure that everyone could hear OK. The patients were all so appreciative and were thoroughly enjoying every moment of this talented young lady’s performance. One person in particular, one of the patients I mentioned earlier who has cognitive difficulties and who has truly been reaping the benefits of using the MP3 player, motioned for me to sit with her while Lauren sang. I knelt down beside her, laid down the video camera and took hold of her hand.  I didn’t realise until later that the video camera was still recording. I’m afraid you can’t see Lauren in the clip but I felt it was worth sharing with you; the song reduced both me and my lovely patient to tears! It’s simply beautiful. So, close your eyes and enjoy - just as many people did at Strathcarron last Tuesday - this awesome performance by Lauren:

8 comments:

  1. Karen Mcdonald9 June 2012 at 12:16

    Jane that's brilliant! Lauren is a bright young star and I am sure she brought much happiness with her when she sang. It is just amazing what you are managing to achieve for the patients your anon pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much pal! Aw, Lauren was just incredible - the video really doesn't do her justice. Thanks, as ever, for your very-much-appreciated support! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a talent! I could say that I knew that when I first clapped eyes on her as a 6 week old baby but I won't! A huge gift to to able to share that talent. Just fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, thanks for sharing this. It was really wonderfully moving - not only to see a child's talent blossom but also to see the effect that music has on people, particularly those facing serious illness. It is a real privilege to be part of your project. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo
    Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. The video really doesn't do Lauren's voice justice - she really did blow us all away. I'm guessing you're a family member or friend and it must be brilliant to watch her talent develop and grow stronger. Such a lovely young woman too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my wee blog Mandy. The privilege is all mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I have already spoke to you on the ward, telling you what a difference your mp3 players have made to my patients. I missed Lauren singing but what an amazing voice she has. Thank you for bringing, which seems such small thing, but makes a massive difference to the patients at strathcarron :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Karen. It really means a lot to me when the staff themselves see a difference in the patients. You, as a member of the nursing staff, make a difference to the patient's lives every single day - you're the heroes in my book! But, every little bit helps and it's been an absolute privilege to work alongside you over this past 4 months. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete