Sunday 4 March 2012

A dedication to the wee boy who made it all happen

I wouldn't be familiar with the World of Difference Scheme, let alone be working on a placement funded by them, if it wasn't for Linda. We met just over a year ago, when we started Module One of the COSCA Counselling Certificate together. Round about the same time, Linda was announced as one of the WoD winners, with her chosen charity being The Scottish Cot Death Trust. Linda chose The SCDT as she'd experienced, first hand, just how vitally important the support that this small organisation offers is. In Linda's own words, from one of her own early blog posts on this site:

"my son died suddenly and unexpectedly aged two, no illness no warning, one day he was running around softplay, painting with his brother and friends the next day he had died.   It IS every parent’s worst nightmare and it is one I have been living with for the last two years.   But I guess my point is that the reason I am here is that I am inspired by my son’s strength of character, lust for life and the imprint he made on so many people (some who knew him, some who didn’t) in just two tiny years that it has made me take life by the horns and aim to do something meaningful… Gregor is without doubt my inspiration for being here today and wanting and needing to ‘make a difference’"

Today would've been Gregor's 5th birthday. I, unfortunately, never had the pleasure of meeting him - but I do feel as if I know him as the essence of Gregor is kept very much alive by Linda, her husband and her other son Ben (whom I adore!).

So, I just want to take this opportunity to say a special Happy Birthday to Gregor. A great wee lad who inspired his mum to do something positive for other people, and whose mum, in turn, inspired me to have a go too. Our chosen charities are pretty different, but our objectives are pretty much the same - to do something meaningful and, of course, to make a difference.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jane, this post is beautiful and it is lovely for me to reflect on just how much has changed in a year - I am thrilled that my gorgeous little cake monster has had an influence on this year's WoD!

    ReplyDelete