Saturday 31 March 2012

First month done already!

Well, that’s the first month of my placement done. The time’s flown by but I’m really pleased with everything that’s been achieved so far. I’m loving working at Strathcarron and I know already that I’ll be gutted come the end of June. Never mind; I’ll just have to make the most of every minute of the remaining 3 months! I’m really pleased with everything I’ve managed to cram in so far; I've raised a fair amount of money (with more to come) and I’m delighted that the project is making a difference to some of the patient’s lives.

One particular patient that I’ve visited several times over the course of this past week has particularly benefited from having the MP3 player by their bedside. Insomnia is a common problem but it’s one that can be improved, for some patients, by having music of their choosing on tap throughout the night. Not only has this patient been managing to sleep better, they’ve also been enjoying sharing their love of a particular type of music with some of the other patients on the ward during the day. It turns out that the little speakers, bought with some of the funds raised through the music quizzes, have been useful on the ward as well as in the private rooms!

Another patient - who finds it difficult to communicate - seems to enjoy not only listening to playlists of their favourite kind of songs, but also the time we spend using music as a catalyst to open up a dialogue.

Some of the patients who don’t particularly like music are still benefitting from having access to the music players. I’ve ripped a whole load of the hospice’s relaxation CDs onto the MP3 players and some of the patients are simply enjoying not having to change the disc in the CD player. They can listen to one CD after another without any interruptions; so, the sounds of the sea can follow seamlessly on from the sounds of the Complimentary Therapist's soft voice talking through specific relaxation techniques. A patient told me yesterday that they’d listened to over two hours of their ‘Relaxation’ playlist the previous night and had “just felt transported out of themselves for a wee while”.

Feedback such as that, to a simple “Ocht, that fair cheered me up dear!” from one of the Day Care patients (after watching a performance by a lovely group of Stirling High School pupils last week), is giving me a clear signal that the project is making a difference to some of the patients. And, now that I’ve got things properly off the ground – and most of the boring ‘preparation’ work is done – I’m thoroughly enjoying this phase of my placement. Spending a lot more time with the patients, using the therapeutic effects of music in many different ways, liaising more with the staff and starting to think more about leaving a sustainable set of practices in place when my placement’s finished are all at the very heart of what my work at the hospice is all about. And I’m just loving that work. I'm also in the throes of organising a fundraising social night, but I'm doing all of that in my own time.

I think it’s worth mentioning here that I’m just a very tiny cog in the massive wheel of everything that makes Strathcarron the special place that it is. The medical, social work, admin, fundraising, management, IT, education, physiotherapy – and many more – departments are there doing things, day in day out, that consistently make a tangible difference to patient’s lives. I’m humbled by many of these amazing people and am determined not to lose sight of the fact that my project is just one of many that have passed through the hospice’s doors over the years. Making sure that my activities in the hospice, and whatever I leave behind, work hand-in-hand with the staff and volunteers is something that I consider to be vitally important.

Something else I’m hoping to achieve with the project is to help with the building of bridges between local schools and the hospice. So, as I mentioned before, I arranged for a group of pupils from Stirling High School to come in to the Day Care unit last week to perform for a small group of elderly patients. I started with my own kids’ school, simply because I’m familiar with it (and because I know that the music department is fantastic!).  My daughter Gemma happened to be in helping out at the hospice for the first time that day (and it also happened to be the day that my Mum volunteers! It was a three generation take-over!) as she’s home on holiday from Uni at the moment. I loved that Gemma was at Strathcarron the same day that Pat Scullion, her old Head Teacher, was visiting! Pat couldn’t have been more enthusiastic about the idea of bringing pupils along to perform for patients ...and perform they did – brilliantly! Here’s just one of the many highlights:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5dHjfajFzY[/youtube]

Few of the pupils had any idea what Strathcarron is all about, and neither really did Mrs Scullion. I’ve mentioned in a previous post that it’s a challenge for the hospice movement in general to raise awareness of the fact that hospices are not dark, dreary places full of ‘people at death’s door’ (as someone rather tactlessly said to me recently). Hopefully the pupils – and their head teacher - will all have gone home that night and started to spread the word to their friends and families that the hospice is a lovely, friendly place to be. (The pupils have also seen exactly where their hard-earned fundraising money will go – which can be no bad thing for a charity which has to raise over £3.5 million each year!) In return, the patients benefitted from a feast of young talent that really did ‘fair cheer them up!’ It’s a win-win situation – and one that I’m really keen to facilitate more often. I just need to find some more hours in each day and I’ll be laughing.....!!

Here's another of the talented pupils doing his thing for the small, but extremely appreciative, audience:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyJuix3LZ5I[/youtube]

 

2 comments:

  1. Karen Mcdonald1 April 2012 at 14:44

    Jane your project is gathering momentum and you are already, in such a short space of time, seeing real benefits for the patients x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pal. Still can't believe I've been doing it for over a month! Looking forward to whatever the next 3 months hold and hoping to bring many more benefits to more of the lovely Strathcarron patients. Thanks so much for all your support, as ever! xxx

    ReplyDelete